At the Mass of the Holy Spirit, the Prep Community recognized Dr. Donna Andrade, Director of Mission & Ministry, with the Rev. Martin G. Shaughnessy, S.J., Ignatian Educator of the Year Award. Dr. Andrade was nominated by her peers for her guidance with and for students on their formational journeys in a Jesuit school. The “Ignatian Educator” engages in ongoing personal, professional and religious development in order to sustain a vibrant community committed to the mission of Jesuit education.
Following are a few excerpts taken from nominations, testament to why students and colleagues are inspired by Dr. Andrade’s professionalism, dedication and leadership.
- Donna fulfills all of the characteristics of an Ignatian Educator - directly and indirectly - and inspires all around her to do the same. She inspires by her faith in action and by her tireless work, enormous energy, remarkable creativity and giving spirit. She helps students to be conscious of their well-rounded growth as Men for Others - challenging them to be their best selves always. She sets the standard in valuing students as individuals, and she treats them with empathy. Donna teaches in the classroom of life, interacting with Prep teachers to challenge them directly and by her inspiration - affects the lives of Prep students as Ignatian learners. As a figure in Jesuit education worldwide, she collaborates with educators in and beyond the school community to enrich teaching and learning.
- Donna offers her gifts to the Prep community so very generously - and in doing so, models Ignatian Pedagogy perfectly. As Donna prepares and presents programs to the faculty, students and to the parent community she models the interplay of experience, reflection and action, and challenges those she is leading to do the same. In steering the Call to Action Donna has guided inquiry into subject matter for an awareness and a deeper understanding of significant justice issues and complex values that calls our community to action.
- Perhaps Donna’s strongest area of contribution is her deep understanding of community and its importance. She is an insightful and extraordinary planner - always looking to challenge all around her to deeper and fuller understanding of and involvement in Prep’s mission. She has guided many to the Leadership Seminars, encouraged many to attend symposia and colloquia and in doing so she has encouraged Ignatian values to grow in all areas of life at Prep. Donna works in partnership with Jesuit and lay colleagues on campus, regionally, nationwide and worldwide in planning the educational and formational program to ensure the future of Jesuit education. She recognizes and works to overcome prejudices that impede the building of an Ignatian learning community, and inspires students and colleagues to collaborate with others in seeking the greater good for all.
- Donna has given voice to Ignatian values with grace and enthusiasm for decades. Her ability to animate our Ignatian vision has encouraged it to grow ever stronger. Donna shares and helps to shape the school’s vision and mission. Her thumbprint is on so many seminal documents and Ignatian movements past and present, and her efforts ensure the continual renewal of the institution. Donna values her work as a vocation to the ministry of teaching and works to promote a faith that does justice.
- Donna Andrade is an Ignatian Visionary. She has played a huge role in moving Prep forward in Ignatian growth and her impact is visible everywhere on the Prep campus and in the community. Donna is a most extraordinary representative of the ideals of the Profile of and of the characteristics of an Ignatian Educator.
Congratulations to Dr. Donna Andrade, Dean of Mission & Ministry, as this year’s Rev. Martin G. Shaughnessy Ignatian Educator of the Year honoree. +AMDG
Watch Dr. Andrade's Tribute and Award on Prep YouTube.
- Homepage news