Principal's Letter regarding the 2016-17 Academic Year
Dear Prep Parents:
I hope that your son is enjoying his summer vacation and that he returns to school well rested and ready to meet the challenges of another academic year. I would like to share with you several important pieces of information concerning the 2016-2017 academic year. This letter will also be posted on our website where you will be able to directly access all forms, registrations and fee payments through active links at www.fairfieldprep.org. Once on the homepage, go to QUICKLINKS at the top of the page. Among the documents and links available are the following:
FORMS & DOCUMENTS
- HEALTH FORMS – State Health Assessment Record, Sports Physical Form, and Medication Order forms can all be printed, taken to your doctor, and then mailed to Fairfield Prep. Under Connecticut State Law, no student may take any medication during school (including the use of an inhaler) without specific authorization from a physician. A valid sports physical must be on file to participate in any sport at Prep.
- ATHLETIC FORMS & DOCUMENTS – This section includes documents for athletes and their parents. Participation in Prep athletics requires the reading of the documents and submission of the Online 2016-2017 Athletic Registration form.
- ACADEMIC FORMS & DOCUMENTS – Please review this year’s Student/Parent Handbook for the rules and regulations currently in effect. Also included in this section is the SAT Preparation Course Registration.
- TECHNOLOGY FORMS – In order for your son to be permitted to use our computer facilities and to have access to his accounts, you and he must return electronically an acknowledgment of the Computer Acceptable Use Policy found on our website.
- TRANSPORTATION & FEES – This section currently includes the forms for the shuttle bus and as appropriate, other special student activities (ACT Plan for sophomores, AP Exams).
Please visit our online bookstore to access links to our Summer Reading and Summer Assignments for all students, FAQs, and information on how to order textbooks from Classbook.com. Please note that all 2016-17 course books will be available for purchase on August 8 at the Prep Bookstore, www.classbook.com/frfld.asp. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Director of Student Discipline, Harold Davis, who is the contact person for the bookstore at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SCHOOLOGY & NETCLASSROOM
At the end of August you will receive instructions for logging into Schoology and NetClassroom. Schoology gives students and parents access to class information, homework, announcements, etc. NetClassroom allows parents access to progress reports and report cards. Please save this important document as you will need it throughout the year.
Please review/download the Important Dates for the 2016-2017 School Year. The Master Academic Calendar will be available for review August 19 on the Prep website. Some key dates to note are as follows:
Monday, August 29.......................Senior Retreat / Orientation (8:30 – 12:00)
Tuesday, August 30......................Freshman Orientation (8:30 – 2:30)
Wednesday, August 31..................Sophomore / Junior Orientation (8:30 – 12:00)
Thursday, September 1.................All Classes Begin
Our annual "Back-to-School" night will be held from 7 – 9 PM on Thursday, September 15. During this evening, you will be able to meet your son’s teachers by attending an abbreviated version of his class schedule. Before the “Back-to-School" night, the Guidance Department will hold a special College Information Evening for parents of seniors from 5:30 to 6:30 in the Student Life Center.
OTHER IMPORTANT NOTES
- E-MAIL ACCESS - To access the e-mail address of any member of the faculty or staff use the first initial of the first name followed by the last name (no space) followed by @fairfieldprep.org. For example, Robert Perrotta is accessed through email@example.com. A full directory is available on the website under About Prep>Contact Us.
- IMPORTANT SUMMER TELEPHONE NUMBERS:
254-4200 Ext. 2239 Mr. Gregory H. Marshall, Dean of Enrollment and Marketing
254-4200 Ext. 2721 Dr. Robert A. Perrotta, Principal
254-4200 Ext. 2690 Dr. Donna Andrade, Academic Dean
254-4200 Ext. 2629 Ms. Madeline Namin, Registrar
254-4200 Ext. 2238 Mr. John Hanrahan, Dean of Guidance and College Advising
254-4200 Ext. 2880 Mrs. Kathy Krochko, Assistant Business Manager
254-4200 Ext. 2255 Mr. Elliott Gualtiere, Director of Campus Ministry
254-4200 Ext. 2210 Mr. Thomas Curran, Director of Athletics
254-4200 Ext. 3375 Technology Help Desk
- ATHLETIC TRYOUTS - In order to participate in tryouts for any Prep sport, it is mandatory that the following information be submitted:
- Current valid physical
- Online registration for the specified sport
- Football: August 15, All Interested candidates Freshman - Seniors, 3pm-6pm, Barlow Field (corner of Round Hill Road and Barlow Road)
- Freshman Soccer: August 25, 12pm-3pm, Grauert Field (behind Fairfield Prep parking lot), please check freshman soccer page on Prep website for groupings.
- Varsity and JV Soccer: August 25, 3pm-5pm, Grauert Field, All rising sophomores.
- August 25, 5pm-7pm, Grauert Field, All returning JV and Varsity players and all interested juniors and seniors.
- Varsity Sailing: Meeting for all interested candidates after first day of school, September 1 at 3pm, location TBA, will be posted on sailing website and announced in school.
- Varsity Crew: August 25, 3pm-5pm, McAuliffe Hall Erg Room (Across from Fairfield Prep Quad)
- Freshman Crew: September 1, 3pm, McAuliffe Hall Erg Room
- Varsity Cross Country: August 25, 3pm-5pm, All Interested candidates Freshman-Seniors, Lessing Field Track
For up-to-date information of practice times and locations, consult the Fairfield Prep website at www.fairfieldprep.org >Athletics>Teams & Schedules. If you have any questions concerning our athletic programs or participation requirements, please refer to the Prep website or call our Athletic Director Mr. Curran at 254-4200, Ext. 2210 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- TRANSPORTATION - Buses are provided for students residing in Fairfield. Their routes will be published in late August in the local newspapers and will be posted on the main bulletin board in Berchmans Hall at the end of August. The shuttle bus from the Fairfield RR Station will begin on Thursday, September 1. To help defray the cost of shuttle bus transportation, a yearly fee will be charged. In order to receive a sticker, which will enable your son to ride the shuttle bus, you must enroll and pay online via the link on Forms & Documents. Shuttle Bus Fee Payment is currently active. Your son will receive his sticker during the first week of school. If your son does not obtain a sticker, shuttle bus transportation will not be provided.
Shuttle buses to Fairfield Prep will leave from the Fairfield train station at the following times:
- 7:45 (two buses)
- 8:00 (two buses)
- 8:15 (one bus)
Student discounted train tickets MUST be purchased online through the Metro North web site. There is no longer a need to obtain a discounted student form from Prep to purchase a discounted ticket. Fairfield Prep submits its roster of students directly to Metro North. Please complete and submit the Metro-North Student Registration form.
- ORIENTATION SCHEDULES:
iPad Orientation In A103 for Freshman who did not take the summer iPad class. Please attend one of the following dates that best fits your schedule: August 29, 12:00 to 2:00 or August 31, 9:00 – 11:00.
Student ID Cards are required for all students. Beginning at 8:00 am on the assigned orientation days, ID pictures will be taken in the Student Life Center (SLC). Any student who does not have a Prep ID card must have an ID picture taken before departing from orientation day. It is REQUIRED that students display their ID cards throughout the day. ID cards also serve as "swipe cards" allowing access to the buildings.
On orientation days, students report to homeroom promptly at 8:30 am where academic schedules and locker assignments will be distributed. Student homeroom information will be posted on the main bulletin board in Berchmans Hall.
- Senior Orientation and Retreat will take place on Monday, August 29 from 8:30 to 12:00.
- Freshman Orientation will take place on Tuesday, August 30 from 8:30 to 2:30 (lunch provided). Parents of freshmen are asked to drop students off in front of Arrupe Hall where they will be met by our upperclassmen leaders.
- Sophomore/Junior Orientation will take place on Wednesday, August 31 from 8:30 to 12:00.
Orientation Dress Code: For their orientation day, students may wear a collared polo shirt, casual pants/shorts (no jeans), and athletic footwear.
FIRST DAY OF CLASSES - Classes for all students begin on Thursday, September 1. The normal dress code is in effect for freshmen, sophomores and juniors. Seniors may substitute their class of 2017 polo shirt for the dress shirt and tie requirement from September 1 through September 15. Seniors will return to the normal dress code on Friday, September 16 for the Mass of the Holy Spirit.
- ON-CAMPUS PARKING PERMITS - Permits for campus parking will be limited to designated area on campus. All juniors and seniors who wish to obtain a permit must follow this procedure in order to register: Report to the Security Office in Loyola with a license, Prep ID, car registration, and a check made payable to Fairfield University for $120.00. This must be completed by 3:00 pm, Friday, Sept. 2, in order to obtain a permit. Unregistered cars will be ticketed beginning Sept.9.
- SENIOR SAT COURSE – The fall SAT course designed to prepare seniors for the October 3, November 5 or December 3 exam. The SAT class will begin on Sunday, September 11, according to the following schedule:
- Sunday, September 11 10-3
- Sunday, September 18 10-3
- Saturday, September 24 10-3
- Sunday, September 25 10-3
- Tuesday, September 27 SAT Practice Test 3-6:30, Academic Center
All classes will be held in Arrupe 103. Beginning August 15, you may enroll your senior son online from the link above. The cost of the course is $250. The registration deadline is Wednesday, September 7.
- STUDENT RULES AND REGULATIONS – Please review the 2016-17 Student/Parent Handbook (available online) for the rules and regulations currently in effect: Allow me to highlight some areas of concern:
- DRESS CODE- Our dress code will be in effect from 8:25 to 2:35 in all areas of the Prep campus except the gymnasium and the weight room. The dress code and several pictures that illustrate acceptable dress and shoe styles can be found at www.fairfieldprep.org/dresscode. Students who are not in dress code will face disciplinary sanctions.
- STUDENT ATTENDANCE- ALL ABSENCES are considered to be unexcused except those that are authorized by the school administration for school related activities (early dismissals for sports, attendance at retreats, etc.) or for emergency medical reasons. All absences must be reported by the parent/guardian via the online Student Absence Report Form which must be completed by 10 AM for each and every day that your son will be absent (full day or part of the day).
- CELL PHONES- Cell phones are not permitted to be used inside the Prep buildings during the school day (8:25 – 2:35) except for academic purposes under the direction of a teacher or administrator or in the cafeteria. Any cell phone seen in the possession of a student during the school day will be confiscated, and the student will be subject to the following disciplinary sanctions:
- First Offense one day detention
- Second Offense two days detention
- Third Offense parent must pick cell phone from the Director of Student Discipline.
- ACADEMIC INTEGRITY (Cheating) - The Academic Integrity Policy is strictly enforced. Please review this policy with your son so as to avoid any misunderstandings on the procedures that are followed when an breach of the policy occurs.
- STUDENT DIRECTORY: Fairfield Prep’s Student Directory is online providing enhanced search options. The online Student Directory is updated as soon as a change is reported to the registrar. Please note that accessing the Student Directory page requires the use of a password. The password is included in the email letter to parents. Information provided in the Student Directory is intended solely for the legitimate, personal use by enrolled students at Fairfield Prep, and for professional use by employees of Fairfield Prep. All other uses of the information provided in the online Student Directory are strictly prohibited.
- BELLARMINE GUILD AND FATHERS' CLUB: The Bellarmine Guild (mothers) and Fathers' Club are comprised of parents/guardians of currently enrolled Prep students. Please visit the Prep website to learn more about the events they sponsor, their calendars, and how you can get involved.
As you can see, although it is only July, we are all busily preparing for the start of school. If you have a question concerning any of the enclosed materials, please do not hesitate to call the appropriate office any time after Monday, August 22.
May you have a restful and enjoyable summer.
Robert A. Perrotta, JD, EdD