The Magis is a Latin term rooted in Jesuit history which literally means “the more” or “the greater.” It is derived from the Jesuit motto, Ad majorem Dei gloriam – For the greater glory of God. In Jesuit school life, to do the Magis is to be focused on never ending improvement and growth. And our focus on the greater thing is always an expression of service to the world. This is how we truly become “Men and women for and with others.”
The Magis Scholarship has a separate application process that can be completed within an applicant's admissions account. The scholarship committee will only consider those admissions applicants who have also completed a separate Magis Scholarship application. The following are the components of the application for the Magis Scholarship - due by December 1:
- Submission of 6th and 7th grade academic records directly from the applicant's school.
- Magis Scholarship Essay - located within an applicant's admissions account
- Magis Scholarship Recommendation - located within an applicant's admissions account.
In addition to the above requirements, applications will be reviewed based on the following standards:
- GPA: A combined 6th and 7th grade GPA of 3.5 or higher in his core courses (Mathematics, Social Studies, Science, English/Language Arts)
- HSPT Entrance Test Score: The HSPT has been waived for the class of 2025 due to the pandemic.
- Aptitude and preparedness for rigorous college preparatory academic studies
- Alignment with the Fairfield Prep mission and Jesuit School's "Grad at Grad" profile
Magis Sholarships are funded annually through the generosity of passionate and loyal Fairfield Prep Alumni. These awards were established by our graduates to insure that future Prep men embrace the same excellence and passion for the Jesuit mission and education of the whole person that has been the hallmark of our school since the founding in 1942.
Recipients of the Magis Scholarships receive an annual grant that is renewable provided students maintain Cum Laude status and an impeccable standard of good citizenship and commitment to the Fairfield Prep mission.